Skip to content
How Do I...?

Frequently Asked Questions Apply

When do I need a permit?

Springfield Township has opted to locally enforce the provisions of the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code (Act 45 of 1999). Permits are required for all new construction, additions and alterations to existing buildings and the following construction activities:

  • Demolition
  • Siding
  • Replacement of Windows
  • Awnings
  • Roofing
  • Decks (including those within 30” of the existing grade)
  • Swimming Pools (including above ground pools)
  • Sheds (including pre-fabricated or built on-site)
  • Replacement of Plumbing Fixtures
  • Sanitary Sewer Repairs and Replacements
  • Electrical Work (excluding replacement of residential receptacles, switches or fixtures rated at 20 amps, or less and operating at less than 150 volts to ground)
  • HVAC Work (excluding the replacement of an individual part within existing equipment, or portable device

Permits are not required for the following activities:

  • Fencing
  • Painting
  • Floorcoverings
  • Tiling
  • Pre-fabricated pools that hold water which is less than 24” deep
  • Replacement of glass within any existing door or window
  • Installation of additional roll or batt insulation
  • Replacement of clothes dryer or range/stove if there is no change in fuel type, location or electrical requirements
  • Minor Plumbing Repairs (including repair of leaks, replacements of faucets and replacement of valves other than shower/bath valves)

If you have any questions regarding when a permit is required, please contact the Building Inspector at (215) 836-7600, Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Associated Information:

  • Permits must be obtained prior to pumping swimming pools
  • Political, Realtor and contractor signs do not require permits but must follow Township zoning ordinances.
  • Fences must comply with height restrictions and street set-backs in the zoning ordinance
  • All electrical work must be inspected by a third party inspection agency prior to approving a Use and Occupancy Certificate.